You know - for the kids...

Thursday, October 12, 2006

Humbled

I have been a database administrator for nearly ten years. Without being too obnoxious about it, I am very good at what I do. For the last three days, however, the job has kicked my ass. After telling my boss that that a new project using untested technology will be easy, it cratered and I scrambled for an explanation of why things went south. It was more than a little humbling. We were able to revert our systems back to the previous working state, but my crew has been working some serious overtime with damn little to show for it and I looked like an overconfident dickhead to boot.

So the moral of my little story is no matter how well one can perform in everyday circumstances, one underestimates the complexity of the unknown at one’s peril. The Big Murky can bite you in the ass.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home