You know - for the kids...

Friday, April 18, 2008

Hillary Clinton shots self in foot, reloads

One of the main rationales behind the Clinton campaign was the notion that she was more electable than Obama. Well, it appears that her recent strategy of attacking Barak by parroting right-wing talking points has backfired spectacularly. And really, who could have predicted that Democratic voters would reject her embrace of Republican Light-ism?

"I would love to vote for Hillary," said Nancy Costello of Bellevue, Ky., one of the more than 1,800 randomly selected adults whose opinions are rechecked every few months. "I'm 67, and I'll probably never get another chance to vote for a woman."

But Obama now appears to be the stronger candidate, she said, and electing a Democrat in November is paramount. If McCain wins and continues many of President Bush's economic and foreign policies, Costello said, "I think I would just sit down and cry. [Ed. Note – I am with you there sister.]"

By tracking the same group throughout the campaign, the AP-Yahoo! News poll can gauge how individual views change. It suggests that Clinton has paid a price for hammering Obama since early February on several issues as she tries to overcome his lead in delegates and the popular vote. Among those Democrats who no longer consider her the more electable of the two, most now see her as less likable, decisive, strong, honest, experienced and ethical than they did in January.

Meanwhile, those same voters are more likely to see Obama as strong, honest and refreshing than before.

Beulah Barton of Leesburg, Fla., said she initially backed Clinton, partly because she liked Bill Clinton's record as president.

"But the more I hear her talk, and the more I hear him talk, the more put off I am," said Barton, 69. "I think she's brash, I think she's rude. I get the feeling that she feels she deserves to be president" and doesn't need "to earn it."

Now, I know these are but to anecdotal accounts, but these two women are Hillary’s base. Without them, her nomination is even more hopeless than it seems. The longer this goes on, the more likely Democrats are to completely turn on her, crippling her chances in the future. Someone needs to talk some sense into her and fast.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home