You know - for the kids...

Friday, August 28, 2009

Teddy

Everyone in the world has written a eulogy for the dearly departed Edward Kennedy but I have a special place in my heart for the man. You see, my father was an ardent Reaganite. He believed that Saint Ronny could walk on water. As I was just a kid at the time, I had no real consciousness of politics and powerbrokers and my own liberalism was not yet formed, but I specifically remember a number of occasions where Dad, bourbon in hand and Cronkite or Rather on the TV, was railing against “that damn liberal Kennedy”. So if the man pissed off a rock-ribbed conservative like my father, he must have been doing good work. And though flawed as he was, Kennedy loved his country and made it a better place. One can’t ask much more of a politician than that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home