You know - for the kids...

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Obama is in

As I have stated before, I think it is way too early to put all of our eggs in Obama’s basket yet. He is sooo green and has not put together anything that resembles a concrete platform, so his candidacy does not yet set me on fire. Which is not to say that I won’t support the guy – especially if Al gore decides he wants to save the world via movies instead of politics. Obama has some stuff going for him.

He is smooth as silk at the podium. His politics are pretty good and he has no real baggage. There are two other reasons to give him a good look. First, how cool would it be, purely from a historical point of view, to say you voted for America’s first black President. I am just saying that the chance to break a barrier only happens once. There was only one Rosa Parks, one Jackie Robinson, one Sandra Day O’Connor.

The other reason I think the Obama candidacy is important is that, Dennis Kucinich aside, he is the only guy in field that was four square against the Iraq war from the start. That says a lot about his judgment and the lack thereof among the rest of the candidates. As I have said before and will undoubtedly say again, it is going to be damn hard for me to get behind anyone who was so wrong on the single biggest policy decision of the past 20 years. So he gets a big checkmark on that issue from me.

If the Junior Senator from Illinois thinks he can make a go of it, I say good luck and let’s see what you got.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home