You know - for the kids...

Tuesday, April 01, 2008

New (to me anyway) music

By dumb luck, I stumbled across a link to Blackheart Records, Joan Jett’s indie label. After listening to her killer rendition of the Replacement’s classic “Androgynous”, I decided to check out some of the other bands in the stable. Ladies and gentlemen, please avail yourself of the opportunity to give the Dollyrots a listen. This pop-punk trio is pure genius. Now I admit that I am a sucker for bands fronted by women, especially hot, talented women (remember Belly and L7? - love them). But they are really good even beyond my own bias. The few songs that I listened to were enough for me to buy their latest album, along with Jett’s for that matter – reviews forthcoming maybe. But let me just say their version of “Brand New Key” is alone worth the purchase price. It is sheer bubble gum cum power chord brilliance.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home