You know - for the kids...

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

George Allen is part Jewish and all dick

The Allen campaign has issued a press release acknowledging his family’s Jewish heritage, claiming ignorance of that fact until a recent magazine article discovered it and his mother confirmed. From Allen’s statement:

"I embrace and take great pride in every aspect of my diverse heritage, including my Lumbroso family line's Jewish heritage, which I learned about from a recent magazine article and my mother confirmed,"…

[Snip]

"Some may find it odd that I have not probed deeply into the details of my family history, but it's a fact. We in the Allen household were simply taught that what matters is a person's character, integrity, effort, and performance -- not race, gender, ethnicity or religion. And so whenever we would ask my mother through the years about our family background on her side, the answer always was, 'Who cares about that?'


Taken at face value, the statement is clearly a message of tolerance that questions the relevance of anyone’s background when judging one’s character. Pretty straight forward. Then Allen made this statement to the Richmond Times Dispatch:

Speaking with The Times-Dispatch, Allen said the disclosure is "just an interesting nuance to my background." He added, "I still had a ham sandwich for lunch. And my mother made great pork chops."

WTF? Like I said, he is a dick. The ham sandwich remark is like acknowledging that your mother is white but you can still play basketball. Comedians can play with stereotypes. Senators with a checkered history on racial issues cannot.

Not to mention how stupid this is. If Allen had not been such a dick about the macaca thing in the first place, it most likely would have blown over. Instead, we are still talking about it and he keeps making bigoted remarks, thinking he is being cute. Dumb, dumb, dumb…

Anyway, for those keeping score at home, Allen has offended those of African descent with his love of all things Confederate; he scored a twofer on Indian-Americans and Arab-Americans with the monkey comment, and now Jews with the pork reference. Are there any other ethnic groups that I am forgetting?

1 Comments:

Blogger starpower said...

Best blog title ever! I hope he loses by a landslide.

7:13 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home