You know - for the kids...

Friday, June 23, 2006

A reporter in need of a dictionary

When I read this, I couldn't believe that it was a legit Reuters story:

BAGHDAD (Reuters) -
Saddam Hussein ended a brief hunger strike after missing just one meal in his U.S.-run prison, a U.S. military spokesman said on Friday.

The former Iraqi leader had refused lunch on Thursday in protest at the killing of one of his lawyers by gunmen, but the spokesman said he ate his evening meal.

OK - first of all, skipping lunch does not make a hunger strike; it's skipping lunch. Every once in a while, due to the press of work, I don't take lunch. That doesn't mean I am protesting or somehow nobler for my sacrifice. It just means I am busy. Calling this a hunger strike is like jumping on your bed and calling it skydiving.

Secondly, this should not qualify as news. I don't care to know the President's meal schedule. Why is informing us of Saddam's significant? Seriously, aren't there a few more important issues in Iraq to discuss?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home