You know - for the kids...

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Angel mine

There are times late at night when I am working on some problem for the job and I just can’t do it any more. I hit the wall and my mind begins to wander. Usually, those thoughts lead back to some part of my life involving Lo. Sometimes, I go back to when I first saw her in the dining hall a full year before I met her, beautiful in her casual way but way, way too cool for a lowly freshman like myself to approach. On other nights, the brain takes me to seeing her (we still hadn’t met) at a party at Houston Street where she walked in, sat down on a 12 of Beast Lite she had carried in, pulled a fifth of Beam from her huge jacket, took a swig and then, without missing a beat, said her hellos to the crowd in the front room. That moment still makes me smile.

My nights are filled with moments like this.

You told your mother that you were going to marry me before we were on regular speaking terms. I knew I wanted you when I saw you that day in Owens, triple hippied out in Birks, a Guatemalan sweater, and carrying a vegetarian lunch.

So tonight, the brain took me to our wedding dance. There were 175 people in the room but for a minute, I had you all to myself. And the opening verses mean more today than they did the day before, and the day before that.

Cowboy Junkies – Angel Mine…

He searched for those wings that he knew
that this angel should have at her back.
And although he can't find them
he really don't mind
because he knows they'll grow back.
And he reached for that halo that he knows
that she had when she first caught his eye.
Although his hand came back empty
he's really not worried
because he knows it still shines.

I can't promise that I'll grow those wings
or keep this tarnished halo shined
but I'll never betray your trust
angel mine.

Angel mine…
I am a lucky man indeed.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lo said...

xoxoxoxoxoxo

10:24 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

<3

you guys are awesome

8:25 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home