You know - for the kids...

Thursday, February 01, 2007

Joe wants to cry

My beloved Molly Ivins died today of breast cancer. I wish I could write a eulogy appropriate to the woman that, in my heart, was THE working man’s voice. Dear Lord, I loved her writing so. Her compassion, fire and courage to call out the powers that be; she was one of a kind. I pray that Hunter Thompson had a Shiner cold and at the ready when she approached the Pearly Gates. In my perfect world, this is how it went…

HT: Molly, I have had this on ice since I heard.

MI: Why thank you Hunter. I knew you were a gentleman (crack). Would you care to join me?

HT: I have a Greyhound at the ready my dear.

MI: In that case, “Cheers”. Do you think they will figure it out?

HT: They already have. That’s why I left.

MI: Atta boy, Hunter. Let’s go get a whiskey. Death requires stronger stuff.

HT: That is an excellent idea – after you. Molly, you are going to like Heaven.

MI: After cancer and Texas, you bet your ass I am…


God rest your soul Molly Ivins. God rest your soul. I will miss you something terrible. You were one of the greats…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home