You know - for the kids...

Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Phoning it in

So I am hanging out in the living room with Lo and J. when the phone rings. It is around 6:30 PM so I am pretty sure it is a solicitation of some sort but I answered anyway. Here is a rough, paraphrased transcript of the conversation that transpired:

Me: Hello?

Caller (in a slow, droning monotone): May I speak with Joe?

Me: This is he.

Caller (monotone continuing unabated): Hello Joe. This is Deborah with the Virginia Democratic Party. I am calling to ask for your support in helping Governor Kaine address Virginia’s transportation crisis.

Me: Uh huh.

Caller (voice sounding depressed, indifferent, and completely uninflected): The Governor is trying to secure permanent funding for the Commonwealth’s transportation projects; projects that will ease congestion and increase road safety for everyone traveling in our roads. These priorities have…

(At this point, her Ben Stein impersonation was killing me and I had to jump in.)

Me: I am sorry for cutting you off but are you looking for a donation?

Caller: Yes.

Me (slightly perturbed that this person could not muster even an ounce of enthusiasm while asking for money): Um – well I have given plenty to the Party this year and am not interested in doing anything further right now.

(pause)

Me: Look, I have to ask - your heart is really not in this is it?

Caller: No.

Me: I mean, you gotta at least try to sell me.

(pause)

Me: OK – well have a good evening then.

(Click)

So I have to ask, was I out of line here?

3 Comments:

Blogger CawfeeGuy said...

not at all!

1:37 PM

 
Blogger sara said...

No. I do it all the time. Actually, since at one point I trained survey interviewers for polls like Gallup's, I have been known to stop them in midsentence and tell them exactly what they are doing wrong.

10:25 AM

 
Blogger joestrummerlives said...

That is so not a surprise, given the source. I can almost hear you delivering the critique.

10:58 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home