You know - for the kids...

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Webb wins













Jim Webb beat Harris Miller 53-47 to take the Democratic nomination for Senate. To Miller's credit, he was gracious in defeat:

"Jim Webb is going to be a great United States senator, and I'm going to do everything I can to help get him elected," he said. "I told him I don't want to lose to somebody who isn't going to beat George Allen, and he assured me he would."

I think this is pretty big. The whole D establishment in the Commonwealth as well as several prominent national party figures are going to thrown their weight and money into defeating George Allen. From the Pilot:

Among the backers were Minority Leader Harry Reid of Nevada and Charles Schumer of New York, the chairman of the fund raising Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee.
"They desperately wanted Webb," said Larry J. Sabato, a University of Virginia political scientist. "Webb will become a national symbol to Democrats and Republicans who are disaffected by the Bush administration and the war in Iraq."


George Allen is in for a rough autumn.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home